8 Tried and Tested Ways to Calm your Mind and 8 More that are More Niche
Jan 21, 2023, 3 min read
Calming your mind can be a challenging task in today's fast-paced world. Stress, anxiety, and constant distractions can make it difficult to find peace and focus. However, there are several methods that can help you achieve a calm and peaceful state of mind.
- Meditation: Meditation is a powerful tool that can help you focus your thoughts and achieve a state of relaxation. It can be done in various ways, such as mindfulness meditation, focused-attention meditation, and open-monitoring meditation.
- Yoga: Yoga is a practice that combines physical postures, breathing exercises, and meditation to help reduce stress and improve overall well-being. Yoga can help improve flexibility, balance, and strength, as well as reduce stress and anxiety.
- Deep breathing: Taking slow, deep breaths can help calm the mind and reduce feelings of anxiety. This can be done by inhaling deeply through the nose and exhaling slowly through the mouth.
- Exercise: Physical activity can help reduce stress and improve mood. It can also help boost endorphins, the "feel-good" chemicals in the brain.
- Nature: Spending time in nature can help reduce stress and improve overall well-being. Whether it's taking a walk in the park or going for a hike in the woods, nature can provide a sense of calm and tranquility.
- Journaling: Writing down your thoughts and feelings can help you process them and gain perspective. It can also be a great way to release pent-up emotions and clear the mind.
- Music: Listening to soothing music can help relax the mind and body. Whether it's classical, ambient, or nature sounds, music can help create a peaceful environment.
- Mindfulness: Being present in the moment and focusing on the present can help reduce stress and improve well-being. Mindfulness can be practiced through meditation, deep breathing, or simply paying attention to the present moment.
In addition to these common methods, there are also some unusual ways to calm the mind:
- Progressive muscle relaxation: This method involves tensing and relaxing different muscle groups in the body to help release tension and reduce stress.
- Guided imagery: This involves using visualisation techniques to create a peaceful scene in your mind, which can help calm the mind and reduce stress.
- Humour: Laughing and incorporating humour into your daily routine can help reduce stress and improve mood.
- Aromatherapy: Using essential oils, such as lavender, can help create a calming environment and reduce stress.
- Acupuncture: This traditional Chinese medicine technique involves inserting thin needles into specific points on the body to promote relaxation and reduce stress.
- Tai chi: This martial art form combines movement, breathing, and meditation to help promote relaxation and balance in the body and mind.
- Qigong: It is a Chinese martial arts and health practices that combines gentle movements, meditation, and breathing techniques to cultivate energy flow and balance.
- Creative activities: Engaging in creative activities such as painting, writing, or pottery can help distract the mind and promote relaxation.
It's important to find what works best for you as an individual as different methods may have different effects on different people. Some of these methods may require some training and guidance, so it's best to consult with an expert if you're interested in trying any of these unusual ways. With a little effort and practice, you can learn to calm your mind and find peace in the midst of chaos.
Whether you’re feeling off-kilter or want to shake up your routine, our state-of-the-art mental wellbeing platform gives you quick and seamless access to world-class support on your terms, from private psychiatric assessments and reviews to broader mental health care: join us today.